Karl. Stuck for workout ideas and wanting to try something different from your normal routine?
Well then try German Volume Training (GVT) for size!
The basis of the workout is 10 sets of 10 repetitions. You can’t get much simpler than that.
Rest period between sets should be approximately 60 seconds.
For a true GVT workout the load (weight used to lift) should be the same throughout. However from my personal experience from using this method in the past I would suggest using a pyramid style formula. By pyramid style I mean slowly increasing the load throughout the sets say to about set 3 to 5 and then gradually decreasing this load. If you put the load you lifted in a bar graph it would like a pyramid, hence pyramid style . My reason for doing it in this fashion is to make every set count as a hard working set to failure or close to it. And I find it hard especially in the latter sets to get your 10 reps out at the same weight lifted.
Chest and Back Workout
- Cross Trainer 6 minutes (get those arms pumping!)
- Pre Workout: 3 sets / 10 reps of burpees with a push inbetween.
- Chest: Barbell Bench Press – 10 sets. 10 reps. 60 seconds rest.
- Back: Seated Row – 10 sets. 10 reps. 60 seconds rest.
Adjust the weight accordingly so you are able to keep your reps to 10.
- Once you are done finish off with an easy 5 minutes on the Rower to cool down.
- Stretch your chest and upper back and give yourself a high five for this one!